Job Title: Product Research Scientist (Charlottesville, VA)
Job Number: 33420
Location: Charlottesville, VA
As a Product Research Scientist, your primary responsibility will be to conduct the design, building, testing, and troubleshooting of prototypes of new BrightSpec product offerings, as well as new components and subassemblies within those products. Working closely with the CTO, but also with the Science, Product Development, and Software teams, you will play a central role in the execution of the company’s new product pipeline strategy. The individual should possess and maintain an expert-level knowledge of spectroscopy instrumentation design and theory, and be able to communicate high-level instrument functional requirements with other BrightSpec teams, as well as with external consultants. Strong research skills, as well as the discipline and organization to prioritize work to deliver needed results within time and budget constraints, are a must. Additionally, given this individual’s expertise in both the theoretical and practical aspects of spectroscopy, support in measuring laboratory samples, and in defining and optimizing theoretical and experimental user workflows, may be needed. This individual will be based at the BrightSpec Charlottesville, VA research facility, though occasional travel to customer sites and to the BrightSpec facility in Natick, MA may be necessary.
- PhD or equivalent in chemistry, chemical physics, or related field.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in the design and assessment of new instrumentation designs in spectroscopy for chemical analysis.
- Strong theoretical and practical working knowledge in spectroscopic instrumentation.
- Prior experience in molecular rotational resonance (MRR) spectroscopy instrumentation design and development is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in writing detailed, well-organized, easy-to-understand research reports, work instructions, and other documentation.