Job Title: VP of Pulmonary Research
Job Number: 23494
Location: Lexington, MA
The VP of Pulmonary Research is responsible for the discovery of novel therapeutics for the treatment of patients with pulmonary disease. This will encompass defining pulmonary diseases, therapeutic targets, strategies to evaluate the targets and how to effectively and efficiently assess the novel therapeutics in the preclinical setting. This individual provides scientific and drug development leadership in a matrix role to an interdisciplinary team comprising internal and external contributors.
- Lead the research activities that result in therapeutics to treat pulmonary disease
- Manage a team of scientists
- Identify unmet medical needs in pulmonary diseases that are consistent with the strategy of Translate Bio
- Define targets and pathways in the areas of unmet need to investigate for therapeutic intervention
- Partner with the Research Leadership team, Clinical, Program Management and Business Development to prioritize therapeutic targets that have the potential to yield approvable and reimbursable medicines
- Collaborate across the Research teams on the design, execution and interpretation of preclinical data to reach go/no-go decisions for each target
- Work with patent counsel on intellectual property filings and oversight of IP portfolio.
- Be an active participant in the Research Leadership team in creating, refining and executing the research priorities of Translate Bio
- Accountable for the generation of quality data to agreed timelines and budgets in partnership with Program Management and Finance
- Identify potential in and out licensing opportunities in pulmonary diseases in collaboration with Business Development
- Build and manage collaborations with academic experts to increase the likelihood of success
- Reports to Chief Scientific Officer.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
- PhD in pharmacology, biology or related discipline
- At least 15 years experience in the study of the causes and/or treatment of respiratory diseases
- Extensive knowledge of pulmonary diseases
- Experience in pharma/biotech is preferred
- Demonstrable examples of initiating and leading cross-functional collaborations, both internal and external, that were successful
- Excellent leadership skills and strength/experience in supervising individuals and leading research groups, including matrix teams
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized and able to multi-task and work independently and collaboratively as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, the ability to generate high-quality data and analysis under tight deadlines.
- Ability to provide technical support and review protocols, technical data, and reports.