Job Title: Technician/Lab manager – Shao Lab – University of Delaware
Job Number: 57059
Location: Newark, US
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Shao Lab (https://shaolab.bio.udel.edu/) in the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Delaware is seeking a Technician/Lab manager (internal title: limited term researcher). Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator, the limited term researcher will participate in research to identify mechanisms underlying reward related behaviors. A wide range of experiments involving behavioral, imaging, molecular, genetic, and biochemical approaches in fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster will be carried out. The Limited Term Researcher will maintain a notebook describing experimental methods and results, participate in research discussions, and interpret research results. This NIH funded position offers the opportunity for motivated candidates to gain technical and leadership skills in a growing lab at UD.
· Maintains fruit fly stocks and laboratory protocols.
· Maintains an inventory of lab supplies and equipment, reorders lab supplies, and tracks new orders of equipment and supplies.
· Plans, organizes and conducts research using fruit flies.
· Complies with the Department of Environmental Health and Safety, OSHA, and biohazard safety standards and promotes workplace safety.
· Participates in laboratory meetings and presents scientific projects at departmental and national meetings.
· The preferred candidate will have a BS/MS/PhD in Biology, Neuroscience, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related field with at least 1 year of bench experience.
· Candidates with experience in Drosophila experimentation and confocal/two-photon imaging are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Successful candidates will be expected to exhibit individual initiative and work independently.
· Be organized.
· Be technically proficient and accurate.
· Effectively communicate in both written reports and presentations.
· Initiate and ensure compliance with applicable safety procedures; and possess attention to detail.
Link for application:
To apply, please submit (1) a cover letter that briefly highlights your research experience, current research interests and career goals. (2) CV that demonstrates your research experience, technical expertise, organizational abilities and leadership roles. (3) Names and contact information for 3 references. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application Deadline: 2023-12-07