Job Title: Sr. Principal Scientist/Associate Director – Structural Biology
Job Number: 29874
Location: Boston, MA
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced structural biologist to join the Odyssey team at our laboratories in Boston, MA or San Diego, CA. In support of Odyssey’s drug discovery programs, you will lead efforts to better understand mechanisms of action and to guide ligand design. You will provide leadership by generating high-quality proteins and solving the structures of protein-small molecule complexes using appropriate methods (e.g., X-ray crystallography, CryoEM, NMR). You will utilize and build internal and external resources and capabilities necessary to drive biophysics and structural biology within the company.
You will work in a cross-disciplinary, fast-moving environment, and will be drawing upon extensive experience driving drug discovery projects forward. You will possess strong interpersonal and leadership skills, be a world-class thought partner, and have a proven record of developing science.
As a critical member of the Odyssey team, you will be a key voice in the evolution of Odyssey’s science and platform, offering opportunities to grow and make an impact. Odyssey prides itself as an organization with an exceptionally talented team with a broad range of skill bases. Together with your colleagues, you will help shape the Odyssey culture, strategic direction, and outcomes.
- Design and enable structural biology strategies across a portfolio of discovery programs
- Manage internal and external resources to ensure the following: efficient recombinant protein design, protein expression, protein purification, sample preparation for structural studies, data collection, structure determination, and delivery of high-quality protein structural information to project teams
- Collaborate with computational and medicinal chemists on structure-guided design approaches and actively participate in driving optimization of biologics and chemical matter in a priority-driven environment
- Partner with colleagues in biochemistry and biophysics, molecular and cell biology, and other functional groups to drive project progression
- Lead the scientific, technical, and operational aspects of structural biology for drug discovery programs
- Stay scientifically current and implement new technologies to enhance structural biology capabilities
- Publish and present research both internally and externally
- Doctoral degree in structural biology, biophysics, or an equivalent discipline along with 7+ years’ professional experience in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry; postdoctoral training is strongly desired
- Ability to develop and execute structure enablement plans for discovery research programs
- Skilled in recombinant protein design, prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein expressions, and protein purification for structural biology needs
- Skilled in all aspects of sample preparation for crystallization, x-ray crystallography, and/or single particle cryo-electron microscopy
- Working knowledge of medicinal chemistry, molecular and cell biology, biophysics, biochemistry, and bioassay development
- Scientific rigor and skillful quantitative data generation and analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and thrive in a team environment
- Ability to scientifically challenge others in a constructive manner
- Record of innovative thinking to propose and champion new ideas and solve problems
- Record of accomplishment as demonstrated by a strong record of publications and presentations
- If you have dual training in both X-ray crystallography and cryoEM, expertise in biophysical approaches for label-free ligand binding and protein stability and/or integrative/hybrid structural biology methods, you will have an immediate impact at Odyssey