Job Title: Senior Vice President, Head of Legal Department
Job Number: 22134
Location: Cambridge, MA
We are seeking a Senior Vice President (SVP), Head of Legal to join our team as a strategic planning partner, member of the leadership team and advisor on all legal matters, including but not limited to corporate and commercial transactions, regulatory matters, compliance, IP, corporate governance, tax, litigation, executive compensation and employment. Initially reporting to the CBO/COO, the SVP, Head of Legal will be responsible for helping to shape the future of Goldfinch as the principal legal officer of the company and strategic advisor to the Goldfinch leadership team and Board of Directors, with overall responsibility for the vision and leadership of Goldfinch’s legal strategy and services and the management of legal risk throughout the organization.
Specific responsibilities of the SVP Legal will include:
- Serving as chief advisor and strategic business partner to the leadership team and the Board of Directors on all legal, corporate governance and compliance matters, including managing and supporting the Company’s practices and policies in ethics, corporate compliance and regulatory compliance.
- Assuming ultimate responsibility for ensuring the company conducts its business in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, while staying abreast of laws, legislative developments and developing external trends.
- Advising and counseling multiple strategic corporate governance, financing and business development initiatives and advising on securities, tax, governance and regulatory matters, in close collaboration with CFO, investor relations, and the executive leadership team.
- Advising and counseling complex legal and business transactions, including negotiation and drafting of strategic partnership agreements, research collaboration agreements with commercial and academic partners, technology license agreements and supply chain agreements in close collaboration with cross-functional teams in business development, research, clinical development, technical operations and commercial functions.
- Leading and managing the Company’s internal legal function to ensure business objectives are met by providing hands-on, solution-oriented advice regarding all legal matters, while developing, managing and guiding a team of in-house legal department professionals with an aim towards fully maximizing performance and capabilities.
- Advising Human Resources on executive compensation, benefits and employment law matters to ensure statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Collaborating with business partners throughout the organization to provide practical solutions to legal issues and risk management discussions.
- Managing all Company litigation, legal claims and disputes.
- Managing Legal function quality and budget while selecting, evaluating, and managing outside legal counsel and expert advisors as needed.
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to the MA state bar.
- At least 15 years of legal experience, including both law firm and corporate, in-house legal experience, including experience with a pharmaceutical, biotech or related life sciences company.
- Significant legal experience with finance, capital raising and US securities laws, as well as commercial and corporate transactions, corporate and regulatory compliance, litigation management, executive compensation and corporate governance is strongly preferred.
- Outstanding executive leadership, communication and management skills in all aspects of a legal and business environment, with proven ability to advise a successful and fast-paced company environment.
- Expertise in or a demonstrated understanding of the laws, regulations, standards and guidance governing the operation of a global life sciences company, specifically those relating to research, development, manufacturing, approval, regulation, sale and marketing of pharmaceutical products.
- Prior experience as an SVP Legal and/or in a management role within the legal department of a company is strongly preferred.
- Prior in-house legal experience at pre- and post-IPO start-up or mid-sized biopharma organization is strongly preferred.
- Prior in-house experience related to NDA approval and commercial launch of new pharmaceutical products is also strongly preferred.
- Interpersonal Competencies & Success Factors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with senior business leaders and other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization while utilizing excellent business and legal judgment in complex situations.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to anticipate and estimate risks strategically, be adaptable and flexible in his/her approach to successfully manage conflicting priorities while meeting scheduled deadlines, and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic and high energy environment.
- Highly organized, detail oriented in approach.
- A team player and culture builder.
- Ability to work collaboratively and as a member of a team while empowering business leaders and colleagues and emphasizing accountability.
- Unquestioned integrity, credibility and judgment.
- A willingness to lead by example, with the ability to “roll up his/her sleeves,” when needed, undertaking day-to-day legal work.