Job Title: Senior/Principal Scientist, Protein Engineering
Job Number: 29829
Location: Cambridge, MA
Our client is seeking a creative, motivated and solutions-oriented scientist to establish the protein engineering function. This individual should have a background in rational protein design and optimization for therapeutic applications. The Senior Scientist will collaborate closely with the early discovery team to establish protein engineering hypotheses, coordinate internal and external resourcing to identify and enhance peptide or protein binders to specific target epitopes, and be responsible for optimization of drug-like properties of novel proteins to drive from preclinical tool compounds to development candidates across multiple drug discovery programs.
- Partner with discovery leadership to develop, validate, and implement protein design workflows to support iterative design and optimization of TPD therapeutics, with a focus on reducing structure-activity-relationship (SAR) cycle time.
- Analyze experimental data to characterize proteins and inform strategies for future protein design.
- Review literature and work closely with discovery biology team and clinical translation team to deeply understand the relevant cellular context and desired activity profile in order to inform the Target Product Profile (TPP) for each program.
- Develop and implement research strategies for optimization of drug-like properties to match the TPP, including but not limited to target specificity, binding kinetics, solubility, stability and immunogenicity.
- Serve as an internal thought leader on protein engineering strategy to support cross-functional discovery and development objectives, and cultivate relationships with scientific advisors and industry collaborators.
- Establish protein engineering team goals, resourcing strategy and workflows based on corporate objectives, and regularly communicate progress, key challenges and mitigation strategies to senior leadership.
- Actively contribute to building a collaborative, results-driven culture within the scientific team.
- PhD in Protein Engineering, Biological Engineering, Molecular Biology or a related field with demonstrated experience working on protein-related applied-biology.
- 5+ years of experience applying systematic approaches to solve problems related to therapeutic protein discovery and optimization.
- 2+ years of industry experience working cross-functionally to deliver on discovery research objectives.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest and understanding of TPD therapeutic modalities