Job Title: Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist, Natural Product Chemistry
Job Number: 24450
Location: 100 Acorn Park Drive 6th Floor Cambridge, MA 02140
We are seeking a Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist for our Cambridge site with deep expertise in metabolite profiling and natural product isolation / structure determination strategies to lead a portion of our discovery efforts. This individual should have a demonstrable track record of having isolated complex natural products and elucidated their structures via state-of-the-art techniques and data interpretation including mass spectroscopic (MS) fragmentation patterns and 1- and 2D nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) data. Substantial hands-on experience with high-resolution MS instruments and liquid chromatography (LC) systems is a must. The successful candidate will be highly motivated and creative, will thrive in a nimble, fast-paced, and performance-oriented environment, and be able to inspire and lead teams in a matrix reporting environment
- Lead a matrixed team in the acquisition and interpretation of MS/MS data, particularly fragmentation patterns, to identify and characterize complex natural products expressed by fungi.
- Develop LC-MS/MS methods for quantitation of secondary metabolites from fungal extracts.
- Develop methods for extractions, and isolation and purification of natural products from fermentation cultures at analytical and preparative scale.
- Analyze/interpret NMR data from 1D and 2D homo- and heteronuclear to elucidate three-dimensional structures including relative stereochemistry.
- Ability to perform semi-synthesis and derivatization of natural products to assist with structure elucidation and SAR studies would be a plus.
- Evaluate new technologies for metabolite profiling and characterization.
- Maintain chromatography and mass spectrometry instrumentation and associated analytical software.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with fellow colleagues within and across functional areas.
- Deliver high-quality results, interpretation and reports to Discovery project teams and other R&D fora.
- PhD in Natural Product Chemistry or related Chemistry field of study.
- At least 5 years of industry experience in natural products discovery.
- Experience with chromatography and MS method development, strong familiarity and aptitude with LC and MS instrumentation including automation, and experience in mass spectrometry data analysis and software including automated and manual interpretation of MS/MS fragmentation data.
- Ability to rapidly distinguish known from novel natural products, and assignment of chemotype and substituents, based on UV-Vis/MS spectral data (dereplication).
- A working knowledge of natural product biosynthetic pathways for polyketides and non-ribosomal peptides.
- Expertise in the set-up and use of 1D and 2D NMR experiments for structural elucidation and characterization of metabolites.
- Knowledge of multiple types of analytical and chromatographic separation techniques, e.g. RP-HPLC, HILIC, SAEX, SEC, SPE and SFC.
- Strong computer skills and experience with software driven metabolite profiling (Agilent MassHunter, Waters MassLynx and Thermo Scientific Xcalibur).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A record of publishing leading scientific papers in both specialized and general-audience journals is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a matrixed team toward shared goals.
- A sense of adventure and excitement to build a new drug discovery paradigm.
- Excellent interpersonal skills working in a collaborative environment and a strong orientation toward, and commitment to, cross-functional collaborations across multiple diverse programs to deliver key results aimed at advancing drug discovery.