Stealth NewCo Gene Editing & Delivery
Job Title: Scientist/Senior Scientist Biochemistry and Bioengineering
Job Number: 31147
Location: Boston, MA
Reporting to the Head of Molecular Technologies, the Scientist/Sr. Scientist Biochemistry and Bioengineering will contribute to a fast paced and innovative team of scientists and research associates focused on developing novel gene editing and delivery technologies. The goal of the Molecular Technologies team is to engineer these technologies at the mechanistic level, and to advance the cutting edge of delivery and gene editing systems. The individual in this role will leverage their deep expertise and knowledge of biochemistry to identify and interrogate the molecular mechanisms of RNA guided systems and protein:DNA interactions. The ideal candidate will have a track record of elucidating the molecular mechanisms of nucleic acid:protein interactions, and have an interest in applying their skills to engineer new genome editing technologies.
● Establish key assays and protocols for engineering and characterization of nucleic acid- and protein-based technologies (RNA, mRNA, dsDNA and ssDNA).
● Work with our computational team to design and scale experiments for discovery and engineering
● Execute biochemistry and biophysics experiments such as SPR, ITC, and chemical footprinting.
● Use a diverse range of strategies to engineer protein-based genome editing and delivery systems and test them in eukaryotic cells
● Expression and purification of recombinant proteins in E. coli and eukaryotic systems
● Design and management of DNA constructs for protein expression, purification, and assay development
● Prepare analysis and present data to internal and external scientific groups.
● Collaborate across various research teams within the company, communicate plans and discoveries, and help to foster thoughtful and productive scientific dialogue.
● Document scientific progress with rigor, thoroughness, precision and an eye towards collaboration.
● PhD in molecular biology, structural biology, biochemistry, molecular virology or cell biology, or similar with at least 3+ years’ hands-on research experience.
● Strong candidates with Bachelors (8-10 years) or Masters (6-8 years) in related disciplines will also be considered.
● A proven track record of expertise in biochemistry or a related discipline.
● Experience with protein purification and high-throughput assay development.
● Experience with enzymes and proteins involved in DNA/RNA metabolism is a major plus. For example; DNA replication, HDR, or meiotic assembly.
● A deep interest and understanding of the biophysics of protein:nucleic acid interactions and molecular machines.
● Prior experience in CRISPR-based gene editing technologies, helicases, rational design, and directed evolution of proteins and/or nucleic acids is not required but highly desirable.
● Self-motivated, organized, and excellent communication skills.
Our stealth company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. Valuing respect, curiosity and inclusivity is required.