Job Title: Scientist, Protein Characterization and Mass Spec
Job Number: 22190
Location: Cambridge, MA
We are seeking a PhD level Scientist for our Cambridge, MA site with expertise in biochemistry, protein characterization and mass spectrometry to support LifeMine’s mass spectrometry biochemistry/ biophysics platforms. He/she should be highly motivated, creative, and have expertise in native and denaturing protein Mass Spec. Experience in Affinity purification-mass spectrometry (AP-MS) for in-vitro biochemical screening would be ideal. Experience with Q-Exactive Mass Spec and HPLC (Thermo Fisher) is essential.
• Develop and implement enzymatic and protein-protein interaction assays for multiple targets.
• Execute routine screening assays and generate SOPs.
• Implement rigorous MS based QC protocols to ensure high quality protein reagents for assays and structural biology efforts.
• Develop native protein MS to characterize protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions.
• Develop and implement protocols to produce and characterize high quality protein and protein-complex baits for affinity screens.
• Liaise with the natural products team to assess and identify masses of interest from complex mixtures and enable structure determination.
• Maintain mass spectrometry instrumentation and associated analytical software.
• Work with colleagues to effectively generate data and communicate results to the company’s senior leadership.
• Work with the internal LIMS system to effectively record and track all mass spec experiments.
• Keep abreast of current literature and proactively evaluate new technologies to enable workflow improvements
• PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysical Chemistry or related fields with experience in working with proteins, protein complexes and an excellent understanding of protein science and biochemistry.
• Industrial or post-doctoral experience a plus, but not essential.
• Experience in in vitro assay development and biophysical techniques
• Expertise in the preparation and analysis of denaturing and native mass spectrometry protein samples, with emphasis in protein-ligand interactions and method development and implementation.
• Experience in affinity purification MS methods would be advantageous
• Ability to work in a collaborative multidisciplinary team, communicate, and give/receive constructive feedback.
• Exceptional time management skills and ability to work well under pressure and drive projects that affect critical timelines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with high attention to detail, outstanding organizational and documentation skills.