Job Title: Scientist, Protein Biochemistry
Job Number: 22432
Location: Cambridge, MA
We are seeking a motivated Research Scientist I in Protein Biochemistry to be an integral member of the De Novo Discovery group, responsible for aiding FogPharma’s efforts to study the binding and inhibitory properties of novel compounds that target undruggable proteins. She/he is a team player, with a passion for scientific research and drug discovery and development. The successful candidate will have a broad knowledge of protein biochemistry and biochemical assays, experience with protein expression and purification, and be enthusiastic, hard-working, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Conduct detailed literature research on the biochemistry and cellular function of undruggable protein targets.
- Develop and run biochemical and biophysical assays to evaluate the target engagement and inhibitory mechanisms of hit compounds for new targets.
- Expression of recombinant proteins in bacterial or mammalian cells, purification and labeling of proteins.
- Supporting the management of collaborations with contract research organizations (CROs) as needed.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemical Biology or related field.
- 2-3 years Post-doctoral or industry research experience preferred.
- A strong background in protein biochemistry, including in-depth understanding of protein-protein interactions, enzyme kinetics, and mechanism-of-action studies. Familiarity with interpretation of protein structural models is a plus.
- Previous experience expressing protein in E. coli or mammalian cells and purification of recombinant proteins with affinity, ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography using AKTA purification systems is preferred.
- Previous experience with biochemical and biophysical assays/techniques (DSF, DSC, SPR, ITC, Fluorescence Polarization or Alpha Screen) is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and a personality of risk-taking, positivity, leadership, adaptability, adventurousness, and excitement to build a pioneering company and work in a dynamic, goal- and performance-oriented team environment.