Job Title: Research Technician
Job Number: 64753
Location: St. Louis, US
The technician will assist with studies on the development and function of interhemispheric connections in the mammalian brain, how brain circuits are formed during development and how these circuits medicate behavior. Lab studies will include cellular and molecular analysis of transgenic mouse models of early brain development as well as in marsupial model. Additionally, the technician will provide husbandry care and colony maintenance for the marsupial model.
This position assists with the technical aspects of studies and experiments, including documentation and preparation of materials.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists with animal based research studies. Executes biochemical and molecular biology assays including collection of data, tissue sectioning, immunohistochemistry, in-situ hybridization; obtains microscope images, prepares solutions and assists with set-up and maintenance of equipment.
- Provides and documents care and husbandry for mouse-sized marsupial animals, including animal census, preparation of feed, water, and enrichment. Maintains colony maintenance, including breeding and weaning. Reports clinical or behavioral signs of illness to veterinary staff.
- Oversees and assists with the management of tissue and antibody database(s).
- Ensures lab conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures.
- Complies with established safety procedures and maintains required documentation on laboratory and specimen conditions.
- Assists with general lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position works in a laboratory environment with potential exposure to biological and chemical hazards. The individual must be physically able to wear protective equipment and to provide standard care to research animals.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and communicate with laboratory staff and investigators.
- Ability to maintain complete and organized records/reports.
- Working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
Bachelor’s degree and up to one year of experience in a laboratory setting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience equaling four years.
$16.59 – $25.92 / Hourly
The salary range reflects base salaries paid for positions in a given job grade across the University. Individual rates within the range will be determined by factors including one’s qualifications and performance, equity with others in the department, market rates for positions within the same grade and department budget.
If you are unable to use our online application system and would like an accommodation, please email [Please click the Apply button for the link or email] or call the dedicated accommodation inquiry number at 314-935-1149 and leave a voicemail with the nature of your request.
All external candidates receiving an offer for employment will be required to submit to pre-employment screening for this position. The screenings will include criminal background check and, as applicable for the position, other background checks, drug screen, an employment and education or licensure/certification verification, physical examination, certain vaccinations and/or governmental registry checks. All offers are contingent upon successful completion of required screening.
- Up to 22 days of vacation, 10 recognized holidays, and sick time.
- Competitive health insurance packages with priority appointments and lower copays/coinsurance.
- Want to Live Near Your Work and/or improve your commute? Take advantage of our free Metro transit U-Pass for eligible employees. We also offer a forgivable home loan of up to $12,500 for closing costs and a down payment for homes in eligible neighborhoods.
- WashU provides eligible employees with a defined contribution (403(b)) Retirement Savings Plan, which combines employee contributions and university contributions starting at 7%.
Wellness challenges, annual health screenings, mental health resources, mindfulness programs and courses, employee assistance program (EAP), financial resources, access to dietitians, and more!
We offer 4 weeks of caregiver leave to bond with your new child. Family care resources are also available for your continued childcare needs. Need adult care? We’ve got you covered.
WashU covers the cost of tuition for you and your family, including dependent undergraduate-level college tuition up to 100% at WashU and 40% elsewhere after seven years with us.
For policies, detailed benefits, and eligibility, please visit: https://hr.wustl.edu/benefits/
Washington University in St. Louis is committed to the principles and practices of equal employment opportunity and especially encourages applications by those from underrepresented groups. It is the University’s policy to provide equal opportunity and access to persons in all job titles without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information.
Washington University is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – fostering respect for all and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. Individuals with a commitment to these values are encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline: 2023-09-30