Stealth NewCo Gene Editing & Delivery
Job Title: Principal Scientist – Human Disease Models
Job Number: 30675
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
What makes us different? Over the last decade significant progress has been made in developing powerful technologies for genomic medicines. However, one major challenge for gene therapies remains: the effective and safe delivery of genetic information to patients. Our modular gene delivery platform, derived from the human genome, allows us to package and deliver therapeutic payloads safely into the human body. Together with compact CRISPR gene editors, our approach positions us to overcome these challenges and transform the way genomic medicines are developed and deployed.
We are founded by a world leader in CRISPR technologies, with a best in class Board of Directors, and funded by investors committed to our mission.
We are seeking energetic, motivated scientists to join our team in developing these new technologies and who are unwavering in their commitment to making an impact on patients’ lives. As an early member, you will help shape our scientific foundation and company culture.
We are seeking a highly motivated Principal Scientist, Human Disease Models with expertise developing iPSC-derived human cellular models and primary cells. In this role, you will develop and engineer various disease-relevant cellular models, reporter lines and in vitro assays to quantify gene delivery and gene editing events. The successful candidate will have extensive hands-on experience with mammalian primary cells, plus the design and development of iPSC-derived model systems (including but not limited to neurons). You will build next generation gene delivery and editing technologies and lead collaboratively from the bench in a fast-paced environment.
- Build our stem cell capabilities; design and build human disease models for our therapeutics discovery pipeline
- Establish differentiation and QC protocols for iPSC-derived cellular models (including but not limited to neurons)
- Develop high-throughput assays for gRNA screening with functional readouts
- Design and engineer cell lines (e.g. reporter, isogenic disease models)
- Work closely with our functional groups, designing and execute assays that evaluate gene delivery and genome editing
- Contribute to the evolution of our new non-viral delivery platform targeting various tissues and cell types
- Hire and manage scientists and RAs as needed; drive strategic scientific programs
- Act as strategic resource for solving complex problems
- Support IP development of our Intellectual Property portfolio
- Actively participate in discussions about data and research directions with the team
- PhD in Cell Biology, Developmental Biology or related field with 6+ years relevant work experience
- 2 years experience or more in industrial research setting preferred
- Extensive cell culture experience with mammalian primary cells and iPSC-derived models (including cell engineering)
- In-depth experience with stem cell differentiation into various cell types and disease modeling
- Experience with medium- to high-throughput cell-based functional assays including flow cytometry, ELISA/Luminex/MSD, DNA-based assays, cell health and proliferation assays
- Experience with 3-D models is a plus
- Knowledge of gene delivery methods including transfection, electroporation, viral and non-viral based methods
- Knowledge of CRISPR genome-editing systems and applications
- Self-motivated, scientifically rigorous with strong organizational skills; a commitment to keeping accurate, detailed experimental records
- Proven track record in stem cell biology or human disease modeling
- Strong desire to work on early-stage technology development
- Demonstrated proficiency in people management including building, leading, and supporting direct reports
- Accustomed to effectively communicating progress, needs, and problems.
Our stealth company is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, seeking to create a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. Valuing respect, curiosity and inclusivity is required. IND-1