Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow in Biology Education Research
Job Number: 74015
Location: Buffalo, US
Applications are invited for a full-time post-doctoral researcher in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo. The successful candidate will explore undergraduate perceptions of career development in the biomedical sciences, specifically through the lens of individual agency.
This project will involve longitudinal, individual interviews with current undergraduates and recent graduates who are pursuing biomedical careers, with a specific focus on those engaging in a gap year. The primary duties and responsibilities of the post-doctoral researcher will include developing an interview protocol, recruiting participants, engaging in interviews, and qualitative analysis. The successful candidate will also disseminate results of the project through publications and presentations at meetings. A general breakdown of the position is as follows:
· (50%) Data Collection and Analysis: longitudinal examination of undergraduate perceptions of career development in the biomedical sciences
· (20%) Develop and Implement a faculty mentoring program centered on advising biomedical undergraduates
· (20%) Dissemination and Publication: Develop manuscripts, presentations, and online materials relating to project findings.
· (10%) Other duties or projects as assigned.
The post-doctoral researcher will be appointed for a one-year period with the possibility of extension for two additional years based on satisfactory performance.
· Ph.D. in biology, biology education research, or related field, including Ph.Ds in STEM education or Higher Ed or a social science background.
· Experience with relevant literature and education research methods
· Expertise in qualitative research approaches such as conducting interviews with students using think-aloud protocols
· Experience with or an understanding of career development in the biomedical sciences
· Ability and desire to work collaboratively, mentor graduate and undergraduate students, and to also work independently
· Project leadership, time management, communication, and writing skills
Salary Range: $60,000-$62,000
Start Date: 3/15/2024 with flexibility
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting on February 15th, 2024.
To apply, please send the following to Dr. Melissa McCartney [Please click the Apply button for the link or email]
1. Cover letter highlighting qualifications related to the proposed research and an explanation of how the applicant meets the preferred qualifications of the position. Please specifically dedicate 1-2 paragraphs describing your experience (or if you haven’t had this experience, your possible approaches to) creating an interview environment where students with marginalized identities feel comfortable sharing both positive and negative experiences.
2. Curriculum vitae
3. A one-page summary of educational research interests, experience, and future goals
4. A one-page statement of your experience and/or practice with diversity and equity
5. The names and contact information of three references; please be certain that references have agreed to speak to the qualifications sought in this position and have agreed to be contacted
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
The University at Buffalo is SUNY’s most comprehensive public research university, and an outstanding place to work. UB amplifies ambition for faculty and staff by offering endless possibilities to achieve more. Here, people from all backgrounds and cultures challenge and inspire each other to discover, learn and succeed. Dedicated staff and engaged faculty collaborate to further knowledge and understanding and develop tenacious graduates who are valued for their talents and their impact on global society. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, the Research Foundation will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin and veteran or disability status.
Application Deadline: 2024-06-03