Job Title: Ph.D. student in Mechanical Engineering
Job Number: 64692
Location: Memphis, US
Two funded Ph.D. openings available starting 2024 Spring
The Tunable Nonlinearity and Stability Lab at the University of Memphis has two funded Ph.D. positions in Mechanical Engineering starting 2024 Spring semester. Candidates from all backgrounds with an inclination towards solid mechanics, computational mechanics, nonlinear dynamics, biomechanics and/or machine-learning are encouraged to join us.
About the University:
The University of Memphis is a State of Tennessee Carnegie R1 flagship university and is the largest public university and engineering program in western Tennessee, with an enrollment of about 22,000 students. The Herff College of Engineering at The University of Memphis has undergraduate and graduate programs which are nationally ranked.
About the Lab:
The overall research goal is to discover new mechanical principles that underlie the nonlinearity and multi-stability for lightweight structures both in engineering and in organisms. Some research topics include: 1). Multi-stable shell structures design; 2). Human’s lower limb stability; 3). Machine-learning aided slender structures design; and 4). Meshless computational methods.
· Motivation and Passion in Mechanics research
· A bachelor’s or master’s degree in mechanical engineering, civil engineering, aerospace engineering, engineering mechanics, or other related fields.
Preferred Qualifications (NOT required):
· Background or research experience in solid mechanics, biomechanics, computational mechanics, dynamics, and/or nonlinear analysis.
· Experimental experience with 3D printing, optical measurement, or biological organisms.
· Experience with FEM analysis (e.g., ABAQUS, ANSYS).
Interested applicants are encouraged to send an email to Dr. Yue Guan ([Please click the Apply button for the link or email]). Please include your CV, the research field(s) you are interested in (dynamics and stability / biomechanics / computational mechanics) and use the title of “Application for Ph.D. research”. The positions are available as soon as possible.
Application Deadline: 2024-02-01