Job Title: Lab Operations Manager
Job Number: 69803
Location: Memphis, TN, US
Lab Manager – Kellogg Lab
Be at the forefront of the gene editing revolution and contribute to developing next generation therapies for children. Top-tier compensation and benefits, supportive and collaborative team environment with strong mentoring opportunities and exciting potential for career advancement.
· Are you passionate about innovative research that has the potential to dramatically improve patients’ lives and change the world?
· Are you naturally organized and structured? Do you enjoy creating processes that improve efficiency and productivity?
· Are you motivated by “Team”? Is your success is a direct function of your colleagues?
· Is open communication one of your strengths? Do you proactively address issues head on?
If you’ve answered “yes” to all of these, then I’d love to meet with you you! But first, here a are more details about the role…
As part of the Structural Biology Department at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the Kellogg lab seeks a proactive and organized Lab Manager with strong communication skills to keep the lab research program running smoothly and to foster an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming environment for all lab members.
Attributes of successful candidates:
· a proactive, fast learner who can operate independently and possesses strong communication skills.
· a leader (vs. follower) with a contagious ‘can-do’ attitude.
· excellent organization and a collaborative attitude
· strong microbiology technique with experience performing standard molecular cloning procedures (or equivalent)
- experience in constructing large DNA libraries, designing selection screens, and deep sequencing experience (NGS) is a plus
Scientific Operations (60%):
Develop new strategies to streamline lab organization, inventory, and ordering while also developing and maintaining standard lab operation protocols and procedures.
Work to build up the lab operations through assisting with hiring processes.
Maintain and operate Kellogg lab equipment.
The lab manager may be asked to participate in mentoring technicians and junior graduate students.
Scientific Research (40%):
· Lead new research directions in the Kellogg lab involving modern cloning techniques and high-throughput selection assays.
· Record experimental observations, present results, and collaborate with multiple experimentalists in the group.
Opportunities for Professional Growth
· You will have the opportunity to help build the Kellogg lab, develop and optimize lab workflows, and define lab standards.
· You will also be able to participate in Kellogg lab meetings, local CRISPR and cryo-EM meetings to help build community and communications between the group and the wider St. Jude community. The Kellogg lab and the wider community in which it resides is full of very smart, helpful, and fun individuals with unique and diverse scientific strengths.
· The candidate will be given opportunities to develop new skills, including but not limited to Transmission Electron Microscope operation and machine learning.
· The candidate will be given opportunities to participate in interdisciplinary scientific research and be mentored in developing leadership skills.
About Kellogg Lab
The Kellogg lab uses cutting edge structural techniques, biochemistry, genetics, and protein design to develop novel genome-editing tools. By addressing key bottlenecks in current research, the Kellogg lab is a leader in the field ([Please click the Apply button for the link or email], [Please click the Apply button for the link or email], [Please click the Apply button for the link or email], [Please click the Apply button for the link or email], [Please click the Apply button for the link or email], [Please click the Apply button for the link or email], and [Please click the Apply button for the link or email]), and has generous support via: the NIH, Pew Biomedical Foundation, and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to develop novel approaches to engineer programmable transposons for clinical gene replacement therapy.
The Kellogg lab is a highly interdisciplinary scientific environment, routinely working with the Cryo-EM Center, the Protein Technology Center, the Single-Molecule Imaging Center, the Center for Advanced Genome Editing, and the Cell & Tissue Imaging Center. It is a scientifically enriching environment with regular CRISPR supergroup discussions (with Dr. Shengdar Tsai) and Cryo-EM supergroup meetings (with Dr. Mario Halic, Dr. Ji Sun, and Dr. Chia-Hsueh Lee along with other Structural Biology faculty).
To virtually meet Dr. Kellogg, check out [Please click the Apply button for the link or email], a Cryo-EM Podcast she and two colleagues hosted. Dr. Kellogg was also recently featured on [Please click the Apply button for the link or email] to talk about her life & work.
About St Jude
St Jude Children’s Research Hospital is consistently named as one of Fortune magazine’s “Best Companies to Work for” and top 10 “Best Places to Work in Academia” by the Scientist Magazine. St Jude is located in Memphis, Tennessee, the 28th most populous city in America. Memphis is a historic city with an affordable cost of living along with world class dining and strong cultural tradition in music and theater. Memphis enjoys a mild, sunny climate year-round and has some of the largest outdoor green spaces of any big city.
St. Jude Employees receive:
· St Jude offers a well-defined [Please click the Apply button for the link or email] with potential for growth and advancement. Industry-competitive salaries are based on your degree and years of experience.
· Excellent healthcare plans with zero to low health premium costs.
· Generous retirement benefits with contributions from St. Jude
· Onsite health clinic, pharmacy, and exercise facilities.
· Paid parental leave and adoption assistance.
· Immigration Services
· Tuition Reimbursement
· For a complete description of our benefits for this position, [Please click the Apply button for the link or email].
The Kellogg lab is committed to building a lab culture that is based on respect, diversity, and inclusion which contributes to a dynamic, innovative, and impactful scientific environment that is fundamentally based on empathy and intellectual curiosity.
· Bachelor’s degree in molecular biology, genetics, cellular biology, microbiology, bioengineering, or related discipline.
· 3 years of relevant professional experience in molecular biology, genomics, high-throughput methods, or related disciplines.
· Ph.D. degree in molecular biology, genetics, or related discipline with significant experience in high-throughput functional genomic research.
· An outstanding academic and professional track record of achievement
· Experience with managing and mentoring wet lab-oriented researchers.
This Position May be Suitable For:
· Graduates with strong microbiology research experience and leadership qualities looking for growth opportunities.
· Experienced synthetic biologists or CRISPR experts passionate about lab operations.
· Genome-editing or synthetic biology professionals interested in switching from industry to an academic environment focused on curiosity driven science and interdisciplinary research.
To be considered, please apply here: https://talent.stjude.org/careers/jobs/JR554?lang=en-us. Please note that your application will not be reviewed until your application is complete and submitted. Applications will be considered until position is filled.
Application Deadline: 2023-12-31