Job Title: Director, Oligonucleotide Synthesis
Job Number: 30216
Location: Waltham, MA
The Director of Oligonucleotide Synthesis will report to the Head of Platform Development and is responsible for leading oligo design, manufacturing and purification. S/he will manage internal and external oligo synthesis, analytics, and characterization of ASO and siRNA chemistries. The candidate will be a subject matter expert in the understanding of testing, scale-up and cGMP manufacturing of nucleic acid drugs with a comprehensive understanding of oligo delivery and formulations. S/he will collaborate closely with additional chemistry, biology, and research teams, supporting all stages of preclinical therapeutic development. The candidate will use creative and proactive problem-solving strategies to progress oligo design and development in support of their therapeutic pipeline. S/he will act as an effective technical expert and work in a collaborative, constructive and mission-oriented focus for improving the lives of patients.
- Lead oligo design, manufacturing and purification
- Manage internal and external oligo synthesis, analytics, and characterization of ASO and siRNA chemistries
- Collaborate with additional chemistry, biology, and research teams, supporting all stages of preclinical therapeutic development
- Scale-up manufacturing
- Select and manage CROs
- Act as an effective technical expert for oligo design and development
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline; with 8-10 years of relevant experience in drug discovery and development.
- Strong practical knowledge of design, synthesis, and purification of nucleic acids.
- Experience in scale-up manufacturing.
- Excellent project, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills, including ability to work across functional lines.
- Ability to select and manage third-party vendors and collaborators, communicate technical information and work with all levels and functions within the Company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including making effective and compelling presentations in both large and small groups and communicating complex scientific and nonscientific issues to program teams.
- Ability to critically evaluate, summarize, interpret data.
- Understand published scientific literature outside of his/her immediate area of expertise and appropriately apply this understanding to company aspects
- Prepare manuscripts and other documents for publication and/or regulatory submission