Job Title: Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Job Number: 21393
Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
We are looking for a Director of Medicinal Chemistry to join our team with expertise in medicinal chemistry, peptide chemistry and the optimization of drug like properties with leading molecules from our de novo discovery platform.
- Lead a team of medicinal chemists. Set goals and timelines for completion of tasks and regularly report progress to leadership. Inspire and mentor internal team members in laboratory synthesis and problem solving. Identify sources of inefficiency and propose solutions. Communicate with other teams to ensure optimal coordination and efficiency across the full R&D team.
- Formulate and implement an integrated chemistry strategy, working in concert with partners in de novo discovery, molecular and cellular biology, pharmacology, computational chemistry, structural biology, and other key functions to reach hit-to-lead/lead optimization goals.
- Participate in company portfolio and stage-gate reviews, lead the preparation and presentation of program advancement Serve as a scientific expert in medicinal chemistry with both internal and external partners to generate new research ideas and initiatives.
- Liaise with CROs and manage external projects to obtain compounds critical to achievement of corporate goals.
- Ensure optimal interaction/communication and provide updates on project status to the program/leadership team.
- Assist in the preparation of intellectual property documents.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with 10+ years of Industry experience in pharmaceutical/Biotech setting required.
- Demonstrated expertise and a track record of success in advancing discovery programs from target validation through lead optimization and into clinical development
- Experience with developing covalent inhibitors is highly desirable. Solid understanding of cellular/molecular biology, biochemistry, mechanisms of drug metabolism, pharmaco-kinetic and pharmaco-dynamic sciences
- Expert knowledge of modern methods of peptide and medicinal chemistry with ability to successfully and simultaneously conduct medicinal chemistry on multiple projects
- Experience in overseeing and directing the day to day scientific activities of a medicinal chemistry team.
- Experience as a successful therapeutic program team (co)leader.
- Ability to independently solve problems as part of a fast-paced team.
- Ability to motivate team and find creative solutions to problems. Demonstrated influence, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills,
- Capacity to execute tasks independently to achieve company goals on an established timeline.
- Excellent communication, organization, multi-tasking, flexibility and team skills.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety procedures.
- Enthusiasm to work in a dynamic research environment.