Job Title: Director, Discovery Fermentation
Job Number: 22431
Location: Cambridge, MA
We are seeking a fermentation scientist with expertise in the fermentation of filamentous fungi from microtiter-plate to bench-scale. This role will be instrumental in optimizing our early stage fermentation process by implementing innovative high-throughput fermentation strategies to induce and optimize secondary metabolite production in filamentous fungi.
- Coordinate and oversee the simultaneous small scale fermentation of multiple native and genetically engineered fungal strains.
- Develop innovative high throughput fermentation strategies for unique strains of filamentous fungi.
- Proactively evaluate and implement new technologies into the company’s genomically-enabled drug discovery pipeline.
- Analyze and act upon complex data sets requiring sophisticated decision-making.
- Work closely with the microbiology team to maintain alignment with the overall R&D objectives of the Company.
- Actively collaborate with LifeMine’s Genomic, Synthetic Biology, Natural Product Chemistry, Mass Spectroscopy, and Medicinal Chemistry functions to design and execute mission-critical experiments.
- Establish processes for detailed, accurate, auditable record keeping and data storage.
- Create a high-performance, rewarding and safe working environment for the Fermentation & Microbiology Group.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mycology, Microbiology or related field.
- 10+ years of industry experience in small scale fermentation of filamentous fungi.
- Expert knowledge in the handling and fermentation of diverse fungal species.
- Deep experience in the implementation of state-of-the-art techniques to induce and maximize production of secondary metabolites.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to deliver results on schedule in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Demonstrated experience building, managing, and developing a productive and innovative team.
- A personality of risk-taking, positivity, leadership, adaptability, adventurousness, and excitement to build a pioneering company and work in a dynamic, goal- and performance-oriented team environment.
- A solid understanding of fungal molecular genetics and the regulation of secondary metabolite production in filamentous fungi is a plus.